Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Huff Po Article

Posted by: Kate

I am THRILLED with a recent article written in the Huffington Post by Daniel Maidman.  Daniel got in touch with me many months ago about making this article happen and while I recognized the huge compliment he was bestowing on my work, and while I knew that no publicity is bad publicity, I have to say, I'm generally very nervous about having someone else do the talking about my work.  I put a lot of thought into my work and I don't like to have my meaning misrepresented or misconstrued.  In fact, I get quite edgy about it.

But, on the phone, Daniel said something that made me think he understood what I was about.  He said that he felt that the genre of child portraiture was sadly looked down upon because of a generalized fear amongst artists that children=sentimentality, and that paintings of children deserve respect.  So I felt like shaking his hand through the receiver.

Without needing to make any reference to the material I've written and posted online about this painting, Daniel still totally gets it.  Many, many thanks, Daniel.

Here is the article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-maidman/single-work-appreciation_b_7684076.html

3 comments:

  1. There's an iconic Australian painting of a boy with a cat. It's a bit not like yours... http://artsearch.nga.gov.au/Detail.cfm?IRN=70967

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete