Monday, August 15, 2011

Lucie and the Wind, Part 4

Posted by: Kate

So I was obviously avoiding the coat. At this point, though, I have to paint it or scrap the painting. After having nightmares about it I realized I have this really awesome black wool coat in my closet, so I put it on and painted myself from my mirror. Problem solved.

By the way, if you want to make black a little more interesting, mix some ultramarine blue and transparent red oxide into it. When the blue and the red are perfectly balanced they create a lovely dark neutral that adds some pep to the black. Also, from brushstroke to brushstroke you can subtly nudge your colour a little towards the blue or the red for added interest. See? I think of these things.


Since all the folds in the arm (my painting arm, actually) kept changing I thought I'd take the painting as far as I could in one pass. For a while I thought I was Jeremy Lipking (a mistake we all make from time to time) and got a little cocky. I thought I'd paint a knock-your-socks-off alla prima coat. At the end of the day I came down off of my high and realized that I really needed another pass after all. I made an effort to make the button holes a little irregular, but the spacing, unfortunately, is so regular that it's distracting. All I want to do is look at them button holes.


I get really anxious about fixing halos like the one around Lucie's coat. The area I left for her torso ended up being too big and as a result I had to match the existing landscape and fill in the gap. Yes, it was a very stressful day. Now here's the painting in it's frame. It's always good to keep the painting from getting stale and popping it into a frame is one way to do that. You can also flip the painting upside down or look at it in a mirror, or put the painting across the room to look at it. Don't do this too often, or the upside-down version or across-the-room version will start to get stale too. I reserve these tricks for emergencies only, like when I've spent a couple hours painting a coat and I'm beginning to suspect I'm going to regret today's work tomorrow.


At some point that day I also revised the sky. Trusty old Mars and Titanium, with some Cad Yellow Deep to neutralize. Cad Yellow Deep is a pretty awesome colour to use in skies.

2 comments:

  1. Woo! I've been waiting anxiously for a "Lucie" update (no pressure or anything, haha). Laughed at the Jeremy Lipking comment. And thank you for your progress shots and color recommendations, especially in the coat...I'm eager to try that!

    ReplyDelete