Friday, May 20, 2011

New Still Life

Posted by: Dave

Below is a new still life I started at the beginning of May. For this one, I went with a 19th century medicine bottle theme. Its crunch time until my wife and I move, so I am painting with a cause, and have a week to finish it. You can see that parts of the painting are in different stages, and the cloth is still in the local color lay in stage. I find sometimes that it takes getting some parts finished so you can be excited about the piece, so I will sometimes not work everything up the same rate.


I also thought that I would do a little talk about palettes, since it seems like such a common theme on blogs and videos. Below is my palette. Notice how I don't clean it properly and I let the paint dry and cake up all over. I don't organize my colors, mediums, or tubes of paint. If you do the opposite of what I do, you will be better off.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the painting so far. I'm sure you'll get that crunch time energy and whip that paintings behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly amazing work, this piece is coming along beautifully. I must say how impressed I am with your site and seeing artists working from life.

    ReplyDelete