Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Icarus V Work in Progress

I would love to finally wrap up the third and final installment of my "Furs" WIP, but I've been putzing around with the background endlessly and now my camera's broken.  I've been thinking for a while of making a study of backgrounds.  I want to amass a bunch of images of paintings with my favourite backgrounds and do thumb nail copies--hammer it all into my brain subliminally.  I think that's why I love trompe l'oeil paintings so much--there is no background!  Just more stuff that needs to be painted!

To allay feelings of inadequacy in light of my big blogging goals for 2016, I'm tossing up an old WIP from 2014.  I didn't even realize I had these pictures but I uncovered them today.






Above was as far as I got on day one.  Once dry, I taped off the panel to frame my new cropping and then tossed it on the table saw.  I impastoed white paint on the throat of the bird so that I could glaze a brilliant red over top.  As we all know, you can't raise the value of red by adding white, and adding yellow, which can raise the value, reduces chroma, so that left me with the glazing trick: lay down some thick, brilliant white paint, preferably packed with calcium carbonate, and then glaze the red over top when dry.  It ratchets up the value and chroma slightly.

Above, more work on the wood and the pebbles.  Painted pebbles and rocks always look like the fake styrofoam pebbles and rocks that you'd find in the pot of some motel lobby plant, don't you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment