Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pew Pew Pew

This painting is pretty well under way and so far I am pretty pleased with the results.  The last experience I had with a narrative painting was quite a bit like my last experience watching the movie "IT."  So many times I was scarred of what was going to happen next, but in the end it just turned out that the scary clown was really just a big dumb spider and there was nothing to fear all along.  I guess we all have a big dumb spider inside all of us when it comes to art.  Not to go on a tangent here, but remember the first time you saw that movie and how much it pissed you off when the guy from "Night Court" had to face "IT" and it ended up just being a crappy animatronic spider.  That's some Mickey Mouse bullshit.  Pretty obvious they ran out of budget after the first 3 and half hours of that movie or Tim Curry simply quit part way through filming.

Anyway,  I try to do as much prep work as possible until I get bored and just want to start painting.  I have to say working in natural light makes the colors and harmonies about a million times more easy.  The last one was a bit of a nocturne and I had to conceptualize a lot.

Head Study of Allie

Head Study of Marco


Preparatory drawing of work


Where the piece stands now, about 68 percent finished.

As far as the story behind the work, it's really about relationships.  The young confident girl represent me and Kate is represented by the chiseled man with the twirly mustache.  Kate is leading me through the woods and showing me how to cap forest creatures. The piece is also about identity, existentialism, meta-cognition, and using thesaurus's. 

Welp, here is some other stuff I finished below as well for the Uncanny show and also a commission.
The Thief
Medicine 2

4 comments:

  1. Took me a while to figure out what the title was trying to say.. (those are little-kid gun shots people - in case you didn't get it). This painting is coming along nicely, I like it! Love your humor too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you spelled thesaurus correctly, so I didn't need to get down that heavy dictionary from the top shelf,( just cut and paste). Allie is just beautiful and (from the thesaurus) pulchritudinous.

    ReplyDelete