Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Icarus V (Auction)--SOLD

Posted by: Kate

It warms the cockles of my heart to know that the first thing my relatives think of upon finding a dead bird is...me.  I was summoned to my second cousin's mum's house (big complicated family, I know) to scoop up a little male Rufous Hummingbird.  The males have red and orange throats and the females have the more famous green.

"Icarus V," 5x7", oil on panel

When I arrived with plastic bag in hand, I found that my three year-old second cousin once removed had meticulously arranged seashells and rocks from the beach around this little creature.  Isn't it amazing how little kids just know to do that?  Death calls for ceremony.  But art calls for truth.  So without any compunction, I swiped bird, shells, and rocks into my bag and took them all back to my studio.

If you would like to see a colour-true image that hasn't been warped by the meta-data stripping that both eBay and Blogspot do, send me a message.  I posted three different versions of the image, with varying contrast and colour balance, and when uploaded together all three looked exactly the same.  What the heck, Blogspot?  This little alla prima is for auction here.

4 comments:

  1. I like it and the story about little cousin had done. Is it also 5x7 as the previous one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I could never paint dead birds. I own 3 cats who like to inspect and visit my still life setups.

    I've never found a "fresh" dead little critter anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I loved that one in person! Darn it-I'm all out of change now after the conference. But I might sell a kidney or something to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully painted. I like knowing a 3-year-old arranged pebbles and shells around it. Did the child set it in the shell coffin as well?

    ReplyDelete