Sunday, April 6, 2014

Icarus IV (Auction!)--SOLD

Posted by: Kate

It was pretty heartwarming when my parents called me up to tell me they had a dead bird for me.  I'm taking it as reassurance that they've come to terms with the fact that I didn't go to med school like my sister.


This beauty is a Varied Thrush.  I immediately thought of Thomas Hardy's "The Darkling Thrush."   I'm learning the local bird species one dead bird at a time.





Icarus IV, 8x10", oil on linen

I've painted this chippy teal wood three times, so this time I changed the colour a teensy bit to better complement the orange of the bird and the green of the ivy.  My favourite part of the painting in the beak and chin area.  Isn't it annoying how it's the areas that go quickly and effortlessly that are the best, and the parts that took a lot of work always remain dissatisfying?  Someone should fix that about the universe.

Icarus IV is up for auction right now.  Go take a look if you were thinking to yourself, "My interior decorating lacks a certain je ne sais quois.  Perhaps a dead bird would tie everything together."  



(eBay and Blogspot strip metadata from images, resulting in distorted colours.  The eBay picture looks absolutely awful.  The picture above is very close to the painting, although a bit lighter and more saturated.  No amount of tinkering made the photo above match the painting perfectly.  If you really need to see a perfect picture, message me and I'll send one to you.)




4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work! Thank you so much for sharing. - Carolina Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropping by to say great blog and keep up the good work both of you. Thanks for always posting such hi res pics, it really helps to study the magic close up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Kate,
    I like this a lot. You have a way with dead birds and chipped paint on old boards. Doesn't really sound like a compliment, but I mean it in a very good way. I really enjoy you and Davids blog. Great information and really starts this old man's day off right! Love this blog. I hope someday I can be as consistent with my blog as ya'll are with yours and then be able to put a link to yours on mine.

    I found it interesting that you have trouble with the color on eBay. I had a piece on there and took it down because the color looked so bad and harsh when the image I scanned and posted did not. To say I was disappointed in the image on eBay was an understatement. Keep up the great painting and this blog. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to paint dead things found in nature, but I was wondering, do they not rot and start to smell? Or do you preserve them somehow or work very quickly?

    ReplyDelete