Monday, April 7, 2014

Cecilia Beaux Forum Discussion Panel

Posted by: Kate

On April 26th at some ungodly hour in the neighbourhood of 7am, Dave and I will be presiding on a Discussion Panel for the Cecilia Beaux Forum at the Portrait Society of America Conference.  It might be the only time I preside over anything, so I'm going to preside like a goddamn queen and enjoy it, even though I'll probably be staggering to the podium directly from the lounge where I spent the night losing track of my martini glass.

The topic that Dave and I are supposed to talk about (and therefore know something about) is...duhn-duhn-DUHN...BLOGGING!  We have fifteen minutes to wax poetic about the whimsical and carefree lifestyle of the non-professional blogger.  So my question is, what do you all want to know?  Bonus, we'll answer all your questions in a blog post after the conference, so you don't even need to get out of bed before 7am if you don't want to!

So tell us, what do want to know about blogging, art sales, and alienating collectors and galleries with appallingly frank discussions about our art?

9 comments:

  1. I'm very much looking forward to hearing this! I really enjoyed meeting both of you last year in Atlanta, and I read (and re-read), and forward your posts to artist and non-artist friends (who don't really get it), all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, is there some place on the internet we can watch this. I am an early riser and something like this would go well with my morning coffee, plus this old dog might learn a few new tricks to help my own blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      I really don't think there will be anyone with a camera streaming this, unfortunately/fortunately (how intimidating that would be!). We won't even have a projector for ourselves to use. I will try to recap everything in a follow up blog post, though.

      Delete
  3. I want to know how David got into the ladies room. Next he will be showing with Women Painting Women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know how you choose your subject matter. How do you know dead birds look so cool in paint? How does David look at a guy and know he should dress him up and paint him as a trapper? Thanks, love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know if you think blogging exposes you to more potential clients or helps you sell more art. I am an artist and I LOVE your blog because I can empathize with your rants and you provide lots of interesting technical info. There are a bunch of marketing types out there ("friends of artists") that would have us believe that to build a "fan" base and sell art, a blog is really helpful. I just can't quite see that "fans" would be that interested in the esoterica of what we do (although I really liked your Oleogel post). Which leads me to the next question....why do you blog? What do you get out of it that makes it worth the time and effort (besides all of your adoring fans like me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marque! This is the sort of stuff I want to talk about...

      Delete
  6. Hi Kate, I really like your paintings, especially the most recent ones. I would like to hear about pricing, if that touchy topic can be discussed in a discussion panel. How do you price your pieces? (Not the ones going on e-bay, which sell well too, congrats!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristina,
      Pricing is something everyone wants to know more about. Perhaps this will be a good topic to dedicate a blog post to in the near future.

      Delete