Monday, February 17, 2014

Icarus III, 5x7" --SOLD


This is a bona fide alla prima, for once.  I was actually able to resist going back into it.  So there.  It's a beautiful little Ruby Crowned Kinglet posed with an old prayer book.  You can take a look at the auction page here.

And yeah, I'm sorry.  I know I promised some people that I'd give them first dibs on my next painting.  I have completely lost track of who got in touch with me after the last sale because I had to close my email account and I just don't have the information anymore.  And being organized and on top of things is overwhelming.  I just want to have clean laundry and paint.  If you send me an indignant private message we can work something out.

In case anybody is interested in knowing what's involved in a dead bird painting:  I tend to find these guys while going on long walks with my dog.  I recently found out that starting the day with a long walk is extremely common with creative people.  Whether or not it's also common to wear ill-fitting yoga pants and to carry home dead birds, I don't know.  Maybe that's a narrower slice of the creative field.  But I spot these guys and WHOOSH! my plans for the day evaporate and it's all about rushing home to paint this poor, poor, beautiful, smashed birdy.  What killed it?  Did it widow a little girl songbird?  Orphan a nest of babies?  Why did it have to die?  Why?  WHY?  Finding a dead bird is the destroyer of weekly deadlines and the vanquisher of dinner plans.

I paired this bird with the book because I loved the echo between the wings and the book pages.  And of course, knowledge gives us wings.  Uh huh.

8 comments:

  1. Katherine, I clicked on the auction link and was interested to arrive at eBay. Would you mind writing a post (or perhaps just a comment here) about why you choose eBay, and about your experience with it? Do you have collectors who buy exclusively online, or are those buyers already familiar with your other work by seeing it in person? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've used eBay. So far, so good. But I don't have any real personal experience to share yet. I've noticed other artists using Etsy or direct selling off their websites.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kate. It's thought-provoking. I'll be interested to see how you and others sell your work online.

      Delete
  2. I love what you've done here, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to second Amanda Teicher's request. I have a stack of 6x8 paintings that aren't just flowers and my gallery only wants wild flowers, particularly cactus blossoms ( I can do them in my sleep :-( ). I have thought about ebay, but when I looked at it I mostly saw amateur works for the most part.

    I also Second Carol Blackburn's comment. That is what I mentioned about transparent and opaque contrasts exactly. Really well done. Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that's a ruby crowned kinglet, so small and fragile! beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. Artists are so strange. ;)

    ReplyDelete