I laid down an Oleogel couche on Morgan's face and painted merrily away (I would later do some more work to soften the stark lighting and the forms around her mouth).
I Oleogeled Molly's face and painted it too. It looks like I changed the colours dramatically, but it's just my camera settings.
And because some people asked, here is my experimental palette:
When working out the colour study for this painting I was having a hard time picking my umber, but then I was all, I SHALL USE ALL THREE. My main flesh colour was Cyprus Umber Dark crossed with Ultramarine Blue Green Shade (which is why I put them next to each other on the palette). I used French Sienna or Madder Lake whenever something needed to be yellower or redder. The Green Umber was great in the background, and the Cyprus Burnt Umber Warm was occasionally just the right colour in the flesh tints. Roman Black, by the way, is a great neutralizer for flesh tint, and I think it will be a permanent addition to my palette.
Here's a final pic of the finished painting, "Sisters," 22x14", oil on dibond:
|Another rollicking Victorian past-time: tableaux vivants!
June 26, 1875
Albumen silver print
4 13/16 x 6 3/8 in.