Sunday, June 23, 2013

Something Nasty VVIEIOSLKX

Someone recently messaged me asking why I haven't done an update on my girl-with-flowerpots painting, which of course reminded me that I have a blog.  I've been painting pretty hard in preparation for my Women Painting Women show with Principle Gallery this fall, and when I'm not painting, I'm whaling away on the garden.  Our backyard and garden were neglected for a number of years before we moved in, so the outdoors resemble a weedy, thorny jungle.  We're slowly reclaiming it and my fascination with gardening is coming out in my paintings, hence the flowerpots in Allie's hands.


Flowerpots have been textured, but those ellipses couldn't be more cross-eyed if they were kicked in the head by a mule.  Normally I'm an ellipse ninja, subcontracting my skills to any artist I happen to be sharing a studio with, but Icarus flew too close the sun.  Either that or I had one too many Blue Bucks that night.  I have to go back and fix them.  I also came to the conclusion that that background would not stand up in a court of law and would have to be elaborated on.


A more intense green.  Still the Nicosia.

Oof, texture.


And with that, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.


This baby still needs some fiddling: flowerpots, left had, ear, and a bit more work on the door.  

So why has my working title been "Something Nasty?"  If you can guess the literary reference in the title, you can have my colour study.  The reason you care is because the reverse of this flimsy piece of mat board is still perfectly usable for a colour study of your own.  No googling, people.  I can always tell when people are lying, have googled, or have tried to recycle pizza boxes with cheese stuck to them.  That's just gross.  They should go in the compost.


13 comments:

  1. I've been curious about the title. I figured it had something to do with the color and working properties of the green, and how you had to get past those attributes. My next thought was along the Stephen King genre line.

    But if it has a more direct meaning, then wasn't there a story forecasting the effects of global warming called "Something Nasty" (in the woodshed?) or something like that.

    Otherwise, I'm guessing this is a poor unfortunate model who stumbled across the spot where David has been hiding the bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Cold Comfort Farm" I see something nasty in the woodshed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nailed it. You have a mailing address?

      Delete
    2. Did you get my reply? My address is 384 Ebelhare Rd., Pottstown, PA 19465. I look forward to seeing your blog on the last painting you showed on facebook. I love the painting!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Barbara! Sorry I've been so tardy. Dave and I have been busy this past month. The sketch is in the mail today.

      Delete
    4. Hi Kate, I got the sketch! Thank you so much. Its great! I'm going to try to get my hubby to take a picture of me with the sketch and post it on facebook.

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Thank you for sharing the in progress shots. Is the literary reference from Cold Comfort Farm? "Something nasty in the woodshed..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Finding something nasty in the woodshed would not be fun. And it would provide Cold Comfort. My grandmother (who also happened to be named Stella, same as the author) had the whole collection of Stella Gibbons novels. She always was a bit of a rebel, even for a flapper.

    Big fan of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! What I was thinking of was "Something Nasty in the Greenhouse." Still, I stand by my theory that David is taking the easy way out in trying to hide the corpses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work guys i really love it thanks for sharing

    Edmonton Painters
    Painters Edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went and watched "Cold Comfort Farm" after this post. Really wish I could've learned what the "something nasty" was...now I'm checking out the book. Hopefully it will reveal the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love seeing what you folks are working on...thanks for keeping it all kind of crazy...very entertaining. Sniffing the paint again...eh?

    ReplyDelete