Friday, May 17, 2013

Something Nasty III

I wasn't able to do any work on this painting on Wednesday.  The whole thing was wet.  So I popped it in my varnishing hood with a lamp and let it cure.  By Thursday evening it was ready to for some essential oil of petroleum.  I wiped it down and took a look.



I plopped in some basic flowerpots.  I'm going to scumble and impasto some texture over top.


After being on a roll it was TORTURE not getting anything done for two days (an hour and a half of dinking around with flowerpots doesn't count).  Today I'm going back to the face.

7 comments:

  1. Please can you explain what you mean by using petroleum? Learning as much as I can about the process... in my next life time I will be as good as you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essential oil of petroleum is a very weak solvent that can be spread on the surface of your dry painting with a sponge to temporarily saturate the colours. It's like oiling in, except that the essential oil evaporates completely and leaves no residue. Use it if you want to see what your painting will look like varnished or if you want to take a good picture. Not all brands are created equal. Some evaporate so quickly that they're useless. I recommend Pebeo.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that Kate, makes sense.

      Delete
  2. I love being able to flip through the last few posts and see the progression of this painting. At first glance, I thought that was an actual person next to a painted fence. Great work, really.

    David | Residential Painting Portland, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you also explain "varnishing hood with a lamp". Is this a way to hurry up the oils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a large wooden box with filtered ventilation that I use for varnishing my paintings. It keeps the varnish dust free as it dries. To accelerate the varnish drying we have a fan and an incandescent light bulb in there. More recently we've discovered that we can pop our paintings in there to accelerate the drying of paint as well. We were using a space heater for that before.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to see a picture of the drying box.

    ReplyDelete