Monday, January 7, 2013

New year, new painting, new model

Actually, an old model.  I did my first drawing of Maddie when she was a year and some change.

General's charcoal, Nitram vine charcoal (for wispy thistles and original sketching), and Faber-Castell Pitt Pastel Medium, which isn't as pebbly as General's White Charcoal.  What the hell is "White Charcoal?"  Are they worried they'll confuse us by calling it "Chalk?"

This is a preparatory drawing for my next figurative painting.  Not weeding your garden is its own reward when you need some thistles to draw.

Here is that first drawing of Maddie.  That serious expression hasn't changed much.


4 comments:

  1. Wow! What beautiful work!!! Thank you for making it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I started following the blog a couple of months ago and I love it.

    These drawings are wonderful. I work at an art supply shop and don't understand "white" charcoal (or would that be white "charcoal"?) either.

    I've heard raves about Nitrams vine. What makes it so awesome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan,
      Thanks for following the blog. Nitram vine charcoal is great for three reasons: it is tough and less prone to breaking and crumbling; it is straight, making it easy to sharpen; and it is consistent all the way through. You know how most vine charcoals seem to change consistency from stroke to stroke? One hatch will be dark, the next one all dusty and light? Nitram also has nice body to it. Can't put it any other way. That said, I don't think Nitram is good as a finished statement on its own. I've done entire drawings with it and the drawings are delicate as hell and literally blow away in front of your eyes. It's best to just use Nitram to do the rough start in a drawing.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful portrait. I just want to kiss her lovely round face.

    ReplyDelete