Today Dave and I celebrate our five year anniversary. Sometimes I wonder where the time went, but then I remember that we spent it having fun. In honor of the special day I would like to present my Ten Reasons why it is Awesome Being Married to Another Artist.
1. They share your artist flakiness. "You forgot to make dinner reservations? Perfect! I forgot it was our anniversary."
2. They understand that it's more important to have a studio than a dining room, and are happy to eat off their laps so long as you have a place to paint.
3. They think it's a BRILLIANT idea to buy that viking helmet off of ebay, and by the way, they saw a whale harpoon at the flea market and they bought it for you.
4. You get to split the work. Dave hates varnishing. I hate making panels. Looks like a match made in heaven to me.
5. They're not jealous when you spend your evenings painting.
6. You can do gallery shows with them! I know it takes me about two years to produce enough work to fill a one man show. As a matter of fact we're splitting a show at M Gallery next month.
7. Your most ruthless critic is on hand at all times to push you in your art. Please see Ten Reasons Why It Sucks to be Married to an Artist.
8. They're schedule is as flexible as yours. You end up spending a ton of time with each other. Probably about three times as much as everyone else spends with their spouse.
9. Their idea of a vacation also involves museums and art galleries.
10. Anniversary presents are unusually suited to artist couples. Paper? Linen? Boo-yah.
Happy Anniversary, honey. I was able make dinner reservations after all.