Friday, August 24, 2012

Restoration

Someone suggested I do a posting about my stance on art restorers.  This of course has been brought on by Cecilia Giménez's recent botched restoration attempt which has left a Spanish fresco, titled "Ecco Homo" in ruins. Cecilia, a hobbyist art restorer, took it upon herself to restore the fresco by use of oil paints atop the supposedly deteriorating work. Ironically, a few vocal defenders are coming to her aid, claiming that Gimenez's  destruction is art in its own right. 


Botched restoration or perfect monkey portrait?

I have heard a lot of controversy around art conservation, restoration, etc.  The thing people have to realize is that any field, be it the sciences, law, fine art, or otherwise, is going to have idiots.   Some fields tend to have more idiots (like the people who work at Dairy Queen) while others (like research scientists) have less.  Art restorers I feel are in the middle of the bell curve of idiocy.  Some are great, while others paint Chewbacca over Spanish masterpieces.  The bottom line is that certain works of art are going to be screwed regardless unless action is taken in restoring them.  Whether these attempts will save the work or not, well, depends on if it's done by an idiot. And that's all I have to say about that.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of a line from an old Simon and Garfunkle song: "Cecilia, you're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence daily..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't she just stop after the first smudge!??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thats a good example of over working a painting!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to hear your thoughts on cutting one's own hair with only a mirror and a pair of scissors. Cuz I did that once. And only once...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly Mr. Gluck, you do not know very many research scientists.

    ReplyDelete