Friday, January 6, 2012

Museum of Natural History





I had a chance to visit NYC recently and stop by the Museum of Natural History. I was amazed by how impressive the dioramas were, especially the background landscapes. I thought it was time to give these artists some props for their efforts. In total, there have been over 20 artists over the past 100 years who have worked on these displays. Many of these artists worked from studies and life to create these elaborate landscapes, which integrate seamlessly into the foreground elements. Chris E. Olsen even did underwater studies in preparation for his oceanic dioramas. Now that’s dedication. You can read more about the artists here.


James Gurney already beat me to an article on underwater painting, so I will have to be the first artist to do an article on painting in outer space. Not to go on a tangent here, but did you ever notice how everything ends up in outer space or the old west when people run out of ideas? Just look at the Muppets, James Bond, Leprechaun 4, Critters 4, Jason X , Hellraiser: Bloodline, and so on. I think the art world has exhausted itself for ideas, and its high time we take it to outer space. Just saying is all.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, hipster artists are already out there, on the streets painting space scenes with spray cans..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I didn't mean painting pictures OF space, I meant painting pictures IN space. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So just set up a still life on Mars and paint that? Pfft.. whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine then, I will then. Its my blog, I get to have the last word.

    ReplyDelete