Sunday, September 4, 2011

Snake Study

I found a dead garter snake on my driveway a couple of weeks ago. Unlike most snakes found under such circumstances, this one wasn't flattened and crimped with tire tread. I scooped it up and popped it in my fridge and began to take it out every other day to paint from it. Unfortunately, our fridge broke down in protest and we had to move all of our essentials to a minibar. I kept the snake in the big fridge not so much to keep it cool, but to keep the smell sealed in. Now the painting is done and it's time to take the snake in it's Frigidaire sarcophagus to the dump to make room for a new fridge. It will be nice to eat food again; but it's been educational living as primitive man did before the invention of the full-size refrigerator, back when we had to use minibars to keep our mammoth chops cool.


Now excuse me while I go rinse out my nose with a Neti Pot.

2 comments:

  1. This is really suffering for your art. I would have never thought to save a snake or anything else that crawls on the ground to paint, but maybe it's a "boy" thing. Great image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this is a Kate painting. We found the snake dead at the end of our driveway after it has been dropped by a raptor. Nothing phases my woman.

    ReplyDelete