Friday, April 29, 2011

Portrait

I thought I would show my last portrait piece all finished up (for the most part.) Unfortunately, I didn't get it done in time for the PSA, but there is always next year. I still don't have an official title as of yet. It is between "Suzanne", "Seung He" (her Korean name), or "Girl with the Feather Brooch." I could also give it a super pretentious name like "Untitled #12 in Grey" or "The Existential Harmony of Memory."  That way, people think I'm a deep thinker.

One thing that I really enjoyed on this piece was working with multiple lead white pigments. I started in the beginning layers with Blue Ridge's Flemish White and did the finishing layers with Rublev Lead White #2 from Natural Pigments. Both great companies with great products. I enjoy the Flemish white for the early layers because it dries quickly due to the pigment Calcium Sulfate. It is also very thick in consistency and great for impasto. Lead White #2 has Lead Carbonate and a walnut binder, so it dries more slowly and yellows less in time. It is also more smooth in consistency and has great thixotropic properties.  I like to use the smoother paint for later layers because it is much easier to blend and get fine details.  (I also know my wife touched on this paint last post, so I thought I would follow it up)

3 comments:

  1. You're not in any danger of anyone thinking you're a deep thinker.
    <3 Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Natural Pigments, the be-all end-all source of information for artists:
    "Thixotropy is the property of some fluids to change viscosity as they are agitated. The longer the fluid is agitated, the lower its viscosity. A gel is mostly liquid in composition, but behaves more like a solid. When a thixotropic gel is agitated, such as manipulated with a palette knife or brush, it begins to flow, but when the agitation is stopped it regains its former viscosity and stiffens."

    ReplyDelete